DJ G-SPOT BIO
DJ G-Spot is originally from Chicago and has worked incredibly hard bringing the world's community of dance music, musicians & Hip Hop artists to the islands of Hawaii. His passion for music lies in the groovy basslines and soaring vocals of New York and Chicago House Music and the English progressive sound. G-Spot's devotion and dedication to exposing the dance music world to Hawaii has been enjoyed by 1000's. On the millennium he staged a worldwide broadcast with the BBC Radio 1 or his Party where G-Spot and Carl Cox broadcasted to over 2 million people, while over 25,000 people attended the FREE event. The British Broadcasting Company did a TV documentary on G-Spot and his DJ & Promoting career. He hosts and DJs for 2 separate radio mix shows for well over 10 years. On his show on KTUH (Fridays, 6-9pm) he plays a variety of music from trip hop, jungle, Trance, house to Techno, covering all the spectrums of music. On his Clear Channel Hot Mix Radio Show, he plays a fast past mixes of the latest music. Both Shows have a huge listener base and both have been essential for the underground and club scene of Honolulu. His DJing career has taken him to places such as Japan, Brazil, Bangkok, Europe, Ireland, Sydney, Mexico, Melbourne, London and Numerous Canadian cities, and many other locals.
BIO PRINTED IN PACIFIC EDGE MAGAZINE 2006:
Most DJs you might ask, "What cities have you DJed in?" With DJ G-Spot, it's more of a question of "What Country!" Since you asked... countries include, Japan, Australia, Thailand, England, Ireland, Canada, Brazil, Mexico just to name a few.
DJ G-Spot, ("G" as he is called by most, short for Greg. And the latter part of his name "Spot", is an actual childhood nickname) is arguably one of Hawaii's busiest & most favored DJ, being named "Best DJ in Honolulu" by the readers of Honolulu Weekly in 1998. Europe's MIXER MAGAZINE recommends its readers traveling to Hawaii to catch G-Spot spinning. G was also a key character on a 1 hour BBC Television special that featured then #1 DJ in the world, Carl Cox who brought in the 2000 Millennium New Years in both Australia & Hawaii.
Currently G-Spot is a DJ and promotions director for Honolulu Streetwear. He also holds high profile sponsorships with Coors Light, Red Bull & Larceny. He also runs several weeklies and large annual events under his promotion banner, Double-O-Spot. G-Spot is also heavily involved in radio including being a producer, host & mix show DJ for 93.1FM, 102.7FM & 93.9FM. Lastly, still going strong for close to 10 years now is his patented 'Underground Sounds' Radio show that airs every Friday 6-9pm on KTUH 90.3FM.
"There was a point where I was DJing 3-4 gigs in one night" G reflects with a sense of wonderment. An all too typical day for G would include him running through endless meetings with sponsors, venues, managers & promoters, shooting over to the radio station at 6pm to host his radio show, then off to his first club gig of the night at The W hotel at 10pm, then off to another gig 'til 3am and finally to an after hours joint to rock the house 'til the sun comes up.
Here are some of the stories written about G-Spot: Honolulu Weekly: Hit The G-SPOT 7-25-2007
Honolulu Advertiser: G-Spot on Love Fest 2007
In the Mix - Honolulu Star Bulletin
Honolulu Star Bulletin "G-Spot Climbs to the TOP" OCT 10, 2006.
Midweek Cover Story: G-SPOT turning_turntables_into_instruments
Honolulu Advertiser: G-Spot's Foam Parties
Honolulu Star Bulletin: G-Spot on Love Fest
Honolulu Weekly: G-Spots Goodwill towards Charity
DJs Against AIDS
G-SPOT on MySpace
G-Spot Documentary in 2000 After Millenium
Personal and Academics: G E Dehnert. Was born in Chicago IL, USA. He has 2 Older Brothers and a twin Sister. Each Sibling played Played Piano and 1-3 more instruments on top of Piano. G-Spots, Father was a distinguished Professor At Universty of Chicago in Hunanities, Logic, Music and Philosophy. G-Spot's dad was also Longtime Chairman of Humanities at Truman Collage. He Also composed music, plays and symphonies. G-Spot's Mom was a public School Teacher on Chicago's Southside, and taught Private Music and piano lesson as well. G-Spot: Attended Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Experimental Elementary And Middle School. The first school to integrate by race, religion, economics and other differences. Attended Evanston Township High School; played Baseball there and was an avid baseball athlete. Received Academic, Engineering, Athletic and non academic awards whilst at ETHS. G-Spot Received a Bachelor of Science from The University of Miami (FL), attended Illinois Institute of Technology for Graduate School (Chicago) transferred to University of Hawaii and received his Masters' of Science in Civil Engineering. During his academic career he got published many transportation Engineering Papers as well as papers on Environmental Sciences. His Thesis got published in the Engineering Journal: ITE: International Transportation Engineer and won an engineering competition he donated the monetary prize to the University of Hawaii Transportation Engineering Student Society.
- Winner of 'Godfather of House's' 25th Anniversary Outstanding Achievement Award for Electronic Music Award. 2009
- Promotion Director KTUH FM Radio Honolulu 1996-Current
- Promoter Director of Hype Hawaii Magazine 2002-2005.
- Promotion Director - Fashion 45 Nightclub, 2004-2005
- Independent Promoter for Wave Waikiki 1996-2006.
- Independent Promoter for "1739" [Nightclub 1739 Kalakaua Ave.] 1996-2006.
- "DJ of the Year Award" 1997. Honolulu Weekly.
- Promoter of "Djs Against Aids" Annual benefit since 1995
- Promoter "Chinatown Getdown.com" since 2006-Present.
- Promoted the 2 Largest New Years Eve Events in Hawaii's History: NYE 2010 Aloha Tower (8000+) and Millenium 1999 (20,000+) Ref: Honolulu Advertiser.
- Supporter of Honolulu Academy of the Arts (Art After Dark, Starlight Ball, Annual food Music benefit)
- Promoter of "The Love Festival" Hawaii's Largest Annual Dance Music Event since 1997. Average Attnedance 9000.
- Promoter of Numerous Reggae Festivals @ Hawaiian Waters Adventure Park (Wet N Wild). Minimum Attendance 5000.
- Promoter of Miami Earth Day Event. 1993 and 1994.
- Promoter and Entertainment Editor of Hawaii Military Magazine. 2004-Present.
- Promoter of Earth Alert Annual Benefit 1992-1995.
- Promoter of "Get Fresh Fridays" @ Indigo (7+years) 2002-2009, won award and multiple acclaims from Honolulu Weekly.
- Promoter of "Perpertual Groove" Thursdays @ Venue Nightclub (4+ years), 1999-2003
- Promoter of "Feng Shui" Saturdays @ Hyatt Regency. (3 years), 2002-2005. Won award from Honolulu Weekly "Best Promotion" and acclaim from Honolulu Magazine.
- British Broadcasting Company did a documentary/reality on 2 Millenium Festival Promoters and "G" was one of them. 1999-2000 "Race Against Time"
- Promoter of the State of Hawaii Official Millenium Party 1998-2000, endorsed by Gov. Ben Cayetano.
- Promoter of "Club Solo" Grand Opening DEC 21-23 1996: Chicago.
- Print Media that have Covered "G" as a Promoter and/or DJ:
- Honolulu Weekly, Honolulu Star Bulletin, Honolulu Advertiser, Honolulu Star Advertiser, Maui Times, Billboard (International), Billboard (USA), Odyssey Magazine, Island Life Magazine, Hawaii Military Magazine, Sweater Magazine (National), Pocket Magazine (National), XLR8R (National), Insider Magazine (National), Millenium Magazine (National), Ka Leo of Hawaii (University Newspaper), HPU Newspaper, Bean Magazine (Midwest Region), Digital Artifact Magazine (National), 1000 Words Magazine (National), Mixer Magazine (International), Music Magazine (UK), Lotus Magazine (National), Collage Music Journal CMJ (International), TGIF, Weekender, Hype Hawaii, Pacific Edge Magazine, Smart Magazine, Midweek, 808 Scene Zine, Overground Lifestyle Magazine (Maui), Electronic Dance Music Magazine (2011) + More.
University of Miami
Vice President of UM's Student Environment Society "Earth Alert" for 2 Years
President of UM's Chapter of "Florida Water Environmental Society" 3 years
University of Hawaii
President of Student Chapter at UH of "Hawaii's Transportation Engineers" 2 Years. Secretary 1 Year.
Director of KTUH90.3FM UH's Radio Station. 8+ Years